3rd September 1961

Stephenson Locomotive Society
Glasgow Tram Tour

Tram Used Glasgow Corporation: 1396

Route :

Tram Route

13.30d St Vincent Street - Union Street - Eglington Street - Coplawhill Works - St Vincent Street - Hope Street - Cowcaddens - St George's Cross - Maryhill Road - Gairbraid Avenue lye - Glasgow Cross (Moir Street circle) - Argyle Street - Dumbarton Road - Partick Depot - Whiteinch lye (Primrose Street) - Glasgow Cross - Bridgeton Cross - London Road - Springfield Road crossover - Bridgeton Cross (Abercromby Street crossover) - Dalmarnock Road - Farme Cross terminus - Springfield Road - Parkhead Cross - Tollcross Road - Tollcross terminus - Parkhead Cross - Shettleston Road - Baillieston terminus - Gallowgate - Glasgow Cross - Anderston Cross - Dalmarnock Depot

Notes :
(1) Route confirmation and reversal points required - above is from paperwork issued to tour participants. The paperwork had the tour finishing at Anderston Cross however a hand-written addition on the sheet seen by the Webmaster shows the tram then went on to Dalmarnock Depot. The Transport Department had been requested to provide standard tram no.488 (built in 1902 and one of the few surviving standards at that time). Overhauled at Coplawhill the previous year it was destined for a Paris museum but was back in ordinary service for a time following a fire at Dalmarnock depot in March 1961. In the event 488 was not available and tram no. 1396 was used.
(2) From paperwork issued to tour participants; This tour has been arranged to cover the four surviving routes (9, 15, 16 & 29) together with the works and several unusual lyes and crossovers, and, although final closure of the system does not take place for another year, provides the last opportunity of seeing something of Glasgow's former glory with tram only streets and intensive trunk services. A further note proclaimed: Passengers are requested not to interfere with the destination screens on the special car and to keep the platforms clear.

Source : Douglas Blades

Back to "The Railtour Files"